Sunday, December 21, 2008

Hal Ketchum - Threadbare Alibis (1989)



Back when I used to sing in a band myself, me and my fellow musicians used to always try to turn each other on to new music. And in the summer of '94 it was Hal Ketchum that we listened to. Lots. And on acoustic sets we used to play songs from his "Every Little Word" album. We loved the songs and the voice.
But before Hal made any impact in Nashville as a bit of an alternative Country-Singer/Songwriter (though not too gritty), he was part of the Austin scene, cutting his debut for the Watermelon label. Recorded in 1986, this was eventually released in 1989? And even more than his later albums, this was more in the Singer/Songwriter category. A nice album, and one I had been looking for for quite some time. Perfect remedy for a Sunday morning...

5 comments:

Boy said...

thanks for posting this--ebay LP and tape copies are >50US$, and never in my budget! Where did you find this?

Skydogg said...

I got lucky. I got it from a mail order auction. 16 euros for a mint, white vinyl copy. Pretty cool, I thought. Enjoy the music.

Anonymous said...

Got lucky and picked it up in a used record bin for $1.00 in excellent condition.

Anonymous said...

I have a mangled original cassette of this album and have bemoaned the day it was ruined. I think this is one of Hal's best albums. I was lucky enough to live in Austin as he was coming up and went to see him as often as I could. Thanks for posting as I can't find one to buy anywhere. You've made me very happy today! :)

Skydogg said...

You're very welcome ;-)